Wardrobe essentials: the denim jacket. A good quality denim jacket merges both fashion and style, staying as an essential piece of men’s wardrobe. Looked good 50 years ago, gonna look good 50 years from now. Denim is king. Simply like that.
Available in any shade today, the versatility of its wash and classic form allows it to suit quite a range of outfits. A denim jacket can be used for layering purposes or go as the main feature. If you’re not certain about what shades to select, consider investing in a black or a blue design. In an endless sea of denim jackets, here is Define Sleek’s guide on how to wear a denim jacket for guys and how to pair it with the whole ensemble.
Brief History Of The Denim Jacket
A jean jacket was first created in the US in the early 1900s by Levi Strauss. It was about ten years after he had invented jeans as a new type of work apparel mostly worn by cowboys, miners, and railroad workers.
Essential Denim Jacket Styles
- Black Denim Jacket
- Blue Denim Jacket
- Shearling Denim Jacket
1. Black Denim Jacket
A black denim jacket is a leather jacket’s little brother. It can go both for casual or smart-casual looks and can be paired with just almost everything that’s in your wardrobe. On the other hand, it appears best as a part of an all-black outfit.
2. Blue Denim Jacket
When it comes to choosing a blue denim jacket, it’s essential to mind the shade. If you’re looking some casual design or something to wear in summer, try to opt for a light blue. Oppositely, if you intend to create a smart aesthetic look or are looking something for colder months, dark blue would be more conventional.
3. Shearling Denim Jacket
How To Wear A Denim Jacket For Guys
1. With Chino Pants
2. With A White T-shirt
3. With Black Jeans
4. With A Turtle Neck
5. With An Overcoat
Wear a denim jacket underneath an overcoat or a trench coat for extra warmth. Try to experiment with colours. It’s a perfect way to add some character and contrast to the overall look. Just mind that your denim should be slim fitting if you are up to wear it this way.
Tips And Tricks To Wear It Right
Whatever the season or occasion is, here are some tips and tricks to consider:
- Keep the bottom layer of your outfit thin enough. This is a rule when layering the denim jacket over a knit. Layers should get thicker as they get away from your body.
- For double denim, follow the men’s style rule of going dark for the jeans and lighter for the top half. Contrast is the key: darker jeans or chinos with a lighter denim jacket or vice versa.
- Comfort here is vital. Selecting a denim jacket is a bit more involved than one might think. What looks good on one man may not look good on another. As a universal rule, choose something that is a tiny bit loose around your shoulders and waste. Pick a larger jacket if you want some room to move. Alternatively, choose a slim fit if you want something that snugs your body and gives you sharpness.
- Taking care of your denim. If it’s truly a quality piece, the most important rule: don’t wash it too often. I’m talking for months or years here. Don’t dry them in the dryer either.
- The stitching is important.